Beyond the PHQ9: Being Resource Ready
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, Major Depressive Disorder affects more than 16.1 million American adults. That’s approximately 6.7% of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year.
In primary care and many other practice settings, certified PAs periodically utilize the Patient Health Questionnaire-9, (PHQ9) or other depression screening tools as part of periodic assessment for depression. When these questionnaires are positive, certified PAs have an opportunity to manage the disease along multiple fronts. It starts with being prepared.
Medical management options for depression are plentiful; however, treatment modalities span far beyond prescription medications. These include lifestyle changes, support groups, cognitive behavioral therapy, psychiatry/psychology consultations, and inpatient/residential treatment.
Have you considered recommending lifestyle changes or therapy for your patients? Are you familiar with the mental health community resources, practitioners, and facilities in your area? To get started, become resource ready using the suggestions below. Take your preparations a step further! Develop your own informational handout to share with patients.
- Mental Health America: Includes information on mental health maintenance, getting help, and taking action
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: Provides resources for individuals with mental illness and their families, including support groups, education, and training
- National Council for Behavioral Health: Search for mental health and addiction treatment facilities or use “Find a Provider” tool in the upper left-hand corner
- National Institute of Mental Health: Downloadable booklets and facts sheets
- SMI Adviser: A Clinical Support System for Serious Mental Illness includes additional resources for clinicians and providers as well as individuals and families.
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America, Anxiety Disorders – Facts & Statistics, https://adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics